Friday, April 24, 2009

Monthly Posting for April 2009

Life has been on a whirlwind with work's busy season on us and looking for a house taking on the aspects of another full-time job. I love it all but alas, my 67 years and lack of exercise do not provide the energy I need to do all I want to these days.

Finding a house large enough to live in that fits my budget and not need a complete or at the very least, a major over-haul, is difficult. Every house I've looked at has major flaws. The best of them had a full basement but it was not usable for much as it had a severe water problem that had been corrected as much as could be. It needed painting throughout, thorough cleaning, carpets removed (hardwoods underneath) and washer dryer connections installed plus purchasing appliances. Thank goodness someone beat me to that one.

The one I'm trying for now is a little 2-bedroom that needs some work but probably less costly than the other one. The problem with it is that the seller is asking about $15,000 over the going value of the property. And, will not negotiate. Tennessee is having a re-appraisal of all properties so it may help or hurt this negotiation. The re-appraisal is helping some and bringing others into reality. We shall see what happens over the next couple weeks. The good thing about this house is 2 acres of land. I'm a country girl at heart and love wide open spaces where you can feel the breezes and not see another house on the horizon. Not the case here, but at least the houses I can see are far enough away I cannot see what is going on inside their windows.

If I should get this property, I'll need to research "ponds." There is a pond on the back of the property...maybe 150-200 ft diameter. That is a guess...I still use my archery days for guessing measurements. It may be about 30-50 ft deep, has water but appears to maybe be a drainage pond as the water is low and I didn't see any sign of incoming water. It has been allowed to go to rot and ruin. I'm not sure but think maybe having it filled in is the best route even though I love ponds and would love to have a good living and healthy one out back...with frogs, turtles, etc. There are cedar trees, brush, etc. growing in from the sides so it will take some heavy equipment to clean it out if I want to bring it back to life....then what if it won't hold water??? Any suggestions are appreciated.

My friend Joy, has helped by going with me to look at properties and giving opinions, and being a great co-pilot keeping us from getting lost while trekking around the countryside. She has also been there to listen, offer advise, and be patient while I whine and moan and wring my hands so to speak. Thank you, Joy. Also thanks to Paige and my daughter, Hannah as they have been there to listen and offer advise also. I am fortunate to have a wonderful realtor. She found a little house for me years ago that I lived in for seven years....longest place I have ever lived. I have no doubt my little house is nearby...it maybe this one or another one but it is nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment