Saturday, July 11, 2009

My Home....finally

It has happened! I closed on my home Friday July 10, 2009 at 10:45am in Dickson, Tennessee. Was not able to get the keys until 6pm that evening and Joy and Paige had to wait outside in the heat until we gave up and they left. Will have to have them over after I move in.

There are three neighbor cats that are great...visit regularly. Mr.Tux is a black and white...adventurous and very loving; Ms. Ava, the Siamese model chooses to grant us her presence occasionally; and the new neighbor is Tex the large pale creamy/yellow tabby who sits next to a tree watching all and meowing his agreement and welcoming us to the neighborhood. I'm not sure how my Mia, Siamese Diva, will react to all these neighbors. Mia is an inside house cat 18.5 years old and ails from arthritis. Maybe she will ignore them after a while as long as they don't come into her territory. One can hope. :>)

My daughter, Hannah and her friend Kim are at the house cleaning while I'm packing at the apartment (took a break to jot this down). I am so fortunate. I'll pack today and tomorrow and Monday Hannah will load her car and I'll load mine to unload at the house while the carpet cleaners are doing their thing. Then back home to pack some more. We both return to work on Tuesday. I'll work Wed and Thurs, packing at night. Friday I'll meet the propane gas rep for him to read the meter, check tank, appliances, etc. and also educate me. I'll also unload another car full and return to finish packing and making ready for the move on Saturday morning. I'll sleep at the house Saturday night of the 18th. Sunday back to the apartment and clean, then home. Monday back to meet with the apartment managers, turn in keys, and settle up money. Then to my new home. I'll go back to work Tuesday and back to a new normal routine.

Hannah has a friend that may come to lay laminate flooring. He will do that one room at a time beginning with the master bedroom and bath (think I'll go with vinyl in the bath). This home was built in 1996 and has carpet in the master bath!!! Ugh and eeeew!!! After that is finished, we'll set up my bedroom (it will temporarily be in one of the guest rooms).

I may have to keep Mia in one room for a little while in order to let her ease into the new home place. Once we have our bedroom finalized, that will again be her main nest. Our bed is actually her bed that she shares with me.

There are so many wonderful flowers! I can hardly wait for next spring. Found we have Japanese beetles that love the grape arbor and other flowers. I set out two of the bags that have the little scent attachment and wow do they work! There are probably couple 100 beetles in the bags. Now, how do I appropriately dispose of them? I don't like killing anything but, if I just dump them out they will come right back or go to neighbors' yards. Hummmmm.

I love the poem Joy posted on her Blog "My Home" by Nikki Giovanni, also Joy's comments. It says so much how I feel about my home. Think I'll print it and have it copied to some nice paper and frame it to hang in my home.

Thank you to all who have helped me get this far and are still helping to make this my home. You are always welcome in my home and I hope you visit often.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! I wonder how long it will take Mia to get used to this place. She'll probably adjust and feel at home there since you'll be so happy being in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still get a thrill every morning when I wake up in my own home after 20+ years. and I can remember the angst in closing to get this place all those years ago.I don't think I slept at all that first night here. I just couldn't help looking it over time and again, and again, and again. I built a small campfire and sat outside for hours and hours wrapped in a quilt on Aug 17 1986. at 42 it was my first true sense of "I am finally home".i feel zealously the same now. It's not easy to guess that you are profoundly moved yourself.

    ReplyDelete